Greetings, PTA Leaders & Members,
Wow, it’s already April. I’m happy that warm weather has finally arrived and everything is starting to green up and bloom. Many of you have already held your elections for next year’s officers and are starting to wrap up this year. While we hope you work for a successful transition, there is still work to be done this year.
Mark your calendars, Georgia PTA will be conducting a hybrid convention this year June 11-12: both virtual and in person. The convention will be held in Columbus with all training held virtually for everyone on Friday. Watch for more information and registration links very coming soon!
This is an election year. Just like you, we have a nominating committee for state officers. Here is the slate presented by our nominating committee:
President-Elect: Shanda Ross
1st Assistant VP: Anita Hagins Jones
2nd Assistant VP: John Martin
Secretary: Alvin Gainey
Candidates who wish to be nominated from the floor must meet the qualifications for the position(s) and follow the procedures to qualify. Find more information below.
In Fall 2020, the Georgia PTA Board of Directors made changes to the Local Unit and Council bylaws permitting 2 out of the 3 required annual meetings to be held virtually. Due to continuing pandemic protocols and limitations in most schools and systems, the Georgia PTA Board voted to waive the requirement for in-person meetings in the 2020-2021 school year.
Thank you for all you’ve done and continue to do to make this year a success!
President, Georgia PTA
Information on Running from the Floor for GAPTA State Executive Office
For anyone interested in running for a state officer position from the floor at Convention and Leadership Training (June 11-12, 2021), your application and letter of intent must be received no later than Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at the state office:
ATTENTION: Nominating Chair, Sidney Richardson
114 Baker Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
Complete information on the duties of officers and their elections can be found in the Georgia PTA Bylaws. In addition to the qualifications listed in the bylaws (below), candidates will have to adhere to the requirements outlined in Appendix D: Policy on Elections (link below).
From the Georgia PTA Bylaws, Article VIII: Officers and Their Election:
Section 4. The following provisions shall govern the qualifications and eligibility of individuals to be officers of the Georgia PTA:
- (a) Each officer shall be a member of a local PTA/PTSA chartered by the Georgia PTA.
- (b) No person is eligible for office who at the time of election, has not served, within the previous five (5) years, at least one full term, as a member of the Georgia PTA Board of Directors; a member of a Georgia PTA Standing Committee; or a member of the National PTA Board of Directors; or a member of a National PTA committee elected or otherwise;
- (c) Candidates for the office of treasurer must have evidenced experience in financial matters, preferably with volunteer service not limited to the council, district, state, or national level.
- (d) Candidates for the office of treasurer, with professional accounting experience would be exempt of eligibility requirements in Article VIII, Sect. 4, para. b. of these bylaws.
- (e) No officer may be eligible to serve more than one (1) full term in the same office.
- (f) A person who has served in an office for more than one-half (1/2) of a term shall be deemed to have served a full term in such office.
- (g) No person shall hold more than one (1) state PTA position simultaneously; and
- (h) Be a natural person who is 18 years of age or older. Georgia Code for Non-Profits § 14-3-802
2021 Legislative Recap
The 2021 Georgia Legislative Session ended on March 31. Join us to find out what passed, what didn’t and have your questions answered.
Thursday, April 22
After your elections, submit your new officers in MemberHub!
Questions? Email our Membership Chair, Ms. Metellus
We hope we’ll see you at CLT!
The last two years have probably been the most interesting we’ve ever had, but we were continuously amazed and impressed with all that you did for the children of Georgia! Thank you! We hope you will join us at this year’s Convention and Leadership Training – either in-person in Columbus, GA or virtually!
Looking forward to seeing you,
The Georgia PTA Board of Directors